Polaris Portable Lighting
The POLARIS Portable LED Lighting Kit is used to set-up a temporary or semi-permanent lighting system to allow aircrafts or helicopters to land on grass strips, frozen lakes, roadways, or as an emergency runway lighting on major airports.
POLARIS can be used as a standalone fitting or as part of a complete transportable runway lighting kit and is available for all relevant applications including:
- Runway edge (white) bi & omnidirectional
- Taxiway edge (blue)
- Runway end (red)
- Thresholed (green)
- Combined threshold/runway end (green/red)
- Unserviceability light (red)
- High Intensity 3W or 1W LED
- Over 60,000 hours typical life expectancy
- No lamp changes needed during the life of each unit
- Recharge in 8 hours
- Simple drop in charging
- Up to 60 hours light output between charges
- Charge level indication on each unit
- Body material: UV resistant polycarbonate
- NVG compatible
- Watertight gaskets for all joints
- Lens material: high load and thermal resistant transparent PMMA MIL-C-7989B
- Finished in aviation yellow
- Protection: IP67 rated
- Flashing or steady signal
- Low voltage battery protection
- Each unit is able to withstand jet blast
- Control options:
- Manual (Standard)
- Power supply is provided by 1 rechargeable sealed lead acid battery 12V-5Ah
- Power Consumption:
- White: 3W.
- Red, Green and Blue: 1W
- Overall dimension: 237 x 251 x 251 mm
- Weight : 4 kg
Battery Status Monitoring
Each individual POLARIS unit is fitted with a set of five coloured LED's, designed to aid maintenance and airfield staff by providing a real time indication of the current battery life of the light.
The indications are:
Green: 100 % charge
White: 30, 60 and 80 % charge
Red: less than 30 %
The battery charger is made of individual steel trays designed to host the POLARIS fittings during storage and transportation. Individual charging slots are fitted with corrosion proof contacts situated at the bottom to allow charging of the units by simply dropping them in place.
Each POLARIS fitting is equipped with an individual control module monitoring the charging process taking into account all the electrical parameters and temperature compensation.
A complete POLARIS system can be delivered in a trailer, reducing time and effort needed for deployment, recovery and charging of the lights units.
The trailer houses a charging station for each light but is still compact in size; less than 4m in length, 1.7m wide and weighing less than 1400 kg. The trailer is equipped with the charging racks to host 66 POLARIS lighting fittings. The rack system consists of 3 rows of 11 charging slots per side of the trailer.
The trailer is suitable for transportation by L-100 or similar sized cargo aircraft without disassembly; easy hitching and towing and provides secure storage of the light units when the system is not in use.
The trailer coupling can be adapted to suit the vehicle towing requirement, is certified for on-road use and is compliant with the all necessary standards for military trailers including braking system, lighting, hooks, etc. The certified trailer speed is over 50 km/h, it is equipped with a spare tire and includes the tooling required for the tire change.
Product Enquiries / Ordering
To enquire about any of our products or to place an order for parts/fittings, please use our product enquiry form found here. For all general enquiries please contact us direct via our online contact form or using the details found on our contact page.